This week is National Volunteers’ Week, and to mark it for 2014 I’ve created a Buzzfeed-style list of why the volunteers in the Over The Wall Camp family have more fun than anyone else you’ll meet. If you’re a volunteer at Over The Wall already, or any of the SeriousFun Children’s Network camps, then here’s to you. Keep doing what you’re doing. If you’re not, then why not?! Get involved! (The photos below are taken from the OTW website and are the property of the charity. They were taken by myself and fellow camp recorders over the past few years at camp.)
1. You enter a camp bubble with no communication from the outside world for a week.
2. Everyone there is a rock star.
3. Everybody fits in.
4. You’ll become an expert in friendship bracelets.
5. At some point you’ll go to Tesco in full face paint and fancy-dress.
6. You can pretend to be a boy…
…or a girl…
…or anything you want to be.
7. We have the best-decorated nurses and doctors in the world…
…although face paint can quickly turn into body paint.
8. The campers can give you a serious run for your money when it comes to disco moves.
9. You get to play with radios.
10. You just have to accept basically ANY challenge from campers.
11. Food challenges can get messy…
…especially if the campers are feeding the volunteers.
12. You may not want to go in the pool…
…but at some point you’re gonna get wet.
13. Campers can find hilarity in literally anything…
…and I mean anything.
14. Everyone knows rest hour is the best hour.
15. You’ll never eat an After Eight in the same way again.
16. The Trouble Song shows how bad you are at spelling.
17. Orange Boys volunteers are fitter than Olympians…
…I mean the campers can basically fly.
18. You can only say the word “safety” in an Irish accent.
19. The campers take way better photos than you do…
…and make better DJs too.
20. Everyone is Batman (and Superman too).
21. At Talent Night there won’t be a dry eye in the house.
22. And there’s no end to the laughter.
23. No matter how hard you try to remove it, when you’re back at work you’ll have paint in your beard…
…or glitter in your hair.
24. But it’s worth it as you’d do anything you can to help a camper reach their goal.
25. Because sometimes all it takes is a little helping hand.
26. By the end of the week you’ll have helped every child to achieve things they never thought they’d be able to do.
27. Your family have gone on a round-the-world trip, but you’ve chosen to come back to camp instead…
…because there’s nowhere else on earth you’d rather be.
28. And you know the campers are going home with lasting memories.
29. And isn’t the post camp sleep the best in the world?
30. Oh, and in case you didn’t know: ‘Overthewallness’ is a real word. Look it up. We’re coming to take over the world!